Selector lever 1
D: automatic mode
M: manual mode
Note: Press the button 2 to go from position D or N to R or P.
3: displays the gear engaged in manual mode.
With the selection lever 1 in position P, switch on the ignition.
To move out of position P, you must depress the brake pedal before pressing the unlocking button 2.
With your foot on the brake pedal (warning light Ó on the display 3 goes out), move the lever out of position P.
Only engage D or R when the vehicle is stopped, with your foot on the brake and the accelerator pedal released.
Driving in automatic mode
Move lever 1 to position D.
In most road conditions you will encounter, you will not need to touch your lever again: the gears will change automatically at the right time and at the most suitable engine speed because the automatic system takes into account the vehicle load and road contour and adjusts itself to the particular driving style you have chosen.
When driving, always leave the lever in position D, keeping the accelerator pedal lightly depressed to ensure automatic gear changes at a lower engine speed.
Accelerating and overtaking
Depress the accelerator pedal firmly and fully (so that it goes beyond the kickdown point).
This will enable you to change down to the optimum gear within the engine range.
Driving in manual mode
With the selection lever 1 in position D, move the lever to the left.
Shifting the lever repeatedly allows you to change gears manually:
- to move down through the gears, push the lever forwards;
- to move up through the gears, push the lever backwards.
The gear selected is displayed on the instrument panel.
In certain driving conditions (for example, engine protection, operation of the Electronic Stability Programme: the automatic system may change gear automatically.
Likewise, to prevent incorrect manoeuvres, a gear change may be refused by the automatic system: in this case the gear display flashes for a few seconds as a warning.
- If the bends and road surface do not allow you to stay in automatic mode (e.g. in the mountains), we recommend that you change to manual mode. This will prevent the automatic gearbox from changing gear repeatedly when climbing, and permit engine braking on long descents.
- In cold weather, start the engine and wait a few seconds before moving the selector lever from position P or N and engaging it in D or R to prevent the engine stalling.
When facing uphill, to remain stopped, do not keep your foot on the accelerator.
Risk of overheating the automatic gearbox.
Parking the vehicle
When the vehicle is stopped, move the lever to position P while keeping your foot on the brake pedal: the gearbox is in neutral and the drive wheels are mechanically locked by the driveshaft.
Apply the parking brake or, depending on the vehicle, ensure that the electronic parking brake is applied.
An impact to the underside of the vehicle while manoeuvring (e.g.: striking a post, raised kerb or other street furniture) may result in damage to the vehicle (e.g.: deformation of an axle).
To avoid any risk of accident, have your vehicle checked by an approved Dealer.
Refer to the maintenance document for your vehicle or consult an Approved Dealer to check whether the automatic gearbox requires scheduled maintenance.
If it does not need to be serviced, there is no need to top up the oil.
- when driving, if the ‘check gearbox’ message appears on the instrument panel, it indicates a fault.
Contact your approved Dealer as soon as possible;
- when driving, if the message “Gearbox overheating” appears on the instrument panel, stop as soon as possible to let the gearbox cool down and wait for the message to disappear;
- If a vehicle with an automatic gearbox breaks down, refer to the information on “Towing” in Section 5.
For safety reasons, do not switch off the ignition before the vehicle has come to a complete standstill.
When setting off, if the lever is locked in position P even though you are pressing the brake pedal, the lever can be released manually. To do this, unclip the flap 4, then insert a tool (with a hard rod to it) into the hole and press the button 2 at the same time in order to unlock the lever.
Contact an authorised dealer as soon as possible.